- Function: Operations
- Employment Type: Full Time
- Category: Shelf-stable
- Relocation Opportunity: No
- Job Level: Mid-Level
- Home or Centralized Office: Centralized
- % of Travel Required: 0
- Reports to: Manager
- # of Reports: 0
About The Position
The EXECUTIVE CHEF is responsible for all food production and menu development including that used for the Pub, the Big Room, banquet functions and other outlets, while monitoring food purchase specifications and recipes. The Executive Chef, together with the restaurant General Manager, will be responsible for all Back of House operations including personnel management, food safety and customer satisfaction. The qualified Executive Chef candidate will have experience with full service, large scale and high volume restaurant operations and a rich culinary background. This position will ensure overseeing the training of all food production staff, and overseeing the maintenance of the kitchen production facility, while maintaining the highest levels of sanitation and cleanliness in all areas of the kitchen.
The Executive Chef will assist with employee evaluations, employee recognition, employee counseling and/or disciplinary action, approving vacation time, absences and/or overtime, and implementing hiring, terminations, pay changes, job changes, and training. The Executive Chef will perform duties with little direction given, operating from established directions and instructions from the General Manager. Decisions are made within general company policy constraints but often require independent decision making. As a member of the leadership team, the Executive Chef provides, by example and leadership, motivation and direction to all employees. The Executive Chef will have full supervisory responsibility for all the kitchen’s line and subordinate management personnel.
- Create and deliver a seasonally rotating world class menu with beer as a central theme.
- Provide consistent and perfected product, creating a lasting guest experience that relates to the brewery.
- Uphold a passion for using the freshest, highest quality ingredients in multiple cuisine disciplines.
- Continually improve and refine cuisine.
- Develop standardized recipes and techniques to ensure high quality, maximize productivity, and to minimize food costs.
- Develop menu additions and specials in all menu categories on a regular and on-going basis.
- Monitor plate presentations to ensure quality, consistency and portion standards are met.
- Prepare necessary data for applicable parts of the budget; projects annual food, labor and other costs and monitors actual financial results; takes corrective action as necessary to help assure that financial goals are met.
- Understand and maximize financial performance through line items such as labor and COGS.
- Recruit, hire and retain talented and effective kitchen staff members.
- Schedule and manage a large BOH staff with the efficiency needed to serve 1,000+ guests per day.
- Have an understanding of both BOH and FOH operations.
- Expertly motivate staff while creating a culture of positivity and accountability.
- Ensure a safe and sanitary work environment that follows practices within the law and is consistent with all policies and procedures set forth by Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.
- Serve as a role model for the entire team.
- Responsible for staff training programs.
- Work cooperatively with an onsite garden to yield fresh produce for the restaurant.
- Attend food and beverage staff and management meetings.
- Consult with the General Manager about food production aspects of special events being planned.
- Cook or directly supervise the cooking of items that require skillful preparation.
- Interact with food and beverage management to assure that food production consistently exceeds the expectations of members and guests.
- In conjunction with F&B management team, assist in maintaining a high level of service principles in accordance with established standards.
- Evaluate products to assure that quality, price and related goods are consistently met.
- Develop policies and procedures to enhance and measure quality; continually updates written policies and procedures to reflect state-of-the-art techniques, equipment and terminology.
- Provide training and professional development opportunities for all kitchen staff.
- Ensure that representatives from the kitchen attend service lineups and meetings.
- Ensure that restaurant and culinary goals are communicated, understood, and met by staff.
- Ensure proper staff flow and procedures during service shifts.
- Resolve product related issues, disputes, and concerns accurately and professionally.
- Demonstrate exceptional communication skills to staff and management.
- Assist in further development and advancement of the department as a whole.
- Demonstrate a high level of motivation and resourcefulness under pressure.
- Ability to resolve personnel and product issues with a confident and systematic approach.
- Act as a leader, policy maker and implementer, and as a professional.
- Communicate with all employees, guests, supervisors, and vendors in a respectful, timely, and professional manner.
- Manage employee relations by ensuring staff communicates with each other and guests in an appropriate and respectful manner at all times.
- Encourage employee recruitment and retention by determining employee needs and overseeing and implementing benefits, work schedules, and levels of responsibility consistent with overall company guidelines and goals.
- Ensure that all food production employees are properly trained to work in a safe and sanitary manner.
- Manage food production capital assets in an efficient and cost-effective manner.
- Evaluate and recommend equipment replacement and upgrades based on need, suitability, and budget.
- Manage safety and emergency training for all food production employees in coordination with the Human Resources and Safety Teams.
- Pursue continuing food and beverage operations education for own position and subordinate positions in areas that allow for growth and increased productivity.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Knowledge & Skills
- A proven track record of building and developing high performing teams and the ability to work collaboratively in an environment that values creativity, flexibility and fun is required.
- Be able to work effectively as part of a team while undertaking a leadership role.
- Knowledge of and love for food.
- Demonstrated attention to detail, with the ability to manage several priorities and apply appropriate judgment.
- Sound knowledge of restaurant compliance requirements.
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficient math skills and ability to read and interpret financial documents.
- Basic computer knowledge, specifically Microsoft Outlook, Word, and Excel.
Experience & Education
- MINIUMUM of seven (7) years of Back of House restaurant experience REQUIRED.
- MINIMUM of five (5) years of supervisory experience REQUIRED.
- Minimum of three (3) years' experience as Executive Chef, preferred.
- MUST have a valid CA Food Handler's Card.
- Experience working with a large culinary team.
- Experience as an effective trainer and teacher.
- This position will require you to be on your feet for long periods of time.
- Ladder climbing.
- Moving large quantities of food products with carts, dollies, hand trucks, and other moving equipment.
- Bending, twisting, reaching, pushing, pulling, and performing repetitive motions.
- Lifting up to 30 pounds without assistance.
Additional REQUIREMENTS to consider before applying
- The selected candidate must pass a post offer pre-employment background check.
- You must be at least 21 years of age to work for Sierra Nevada Brewing Co.